Friday, February 16, 2007

I wonder...

....I wonder whether I oughtn't to be doing more with my life. I think that I'm 'happy' and I know that things could be worse. I'm grateful for everything that I have - from the water in the tap to the husband whose currently fixing said tap.

But I am a bit bored, if the truth be known. Now, I know that excitement's not always all that it's cracked up to be (we've had a fair bit of the wrong sort of excitement around here in the past few weeks, what with one thing and another - think gastro-enteritis and you'll be not far wrong). But, to be quite honest, being in a total rut is not much fun either - and a rut is what I think I'm in at the moment.

I'm bored.

In the past, when I've felt in a rut, I've changed my job, my boyfriend, taken myself off on holiday or found a new hobby. I've been in ruts before, but I've climbed out of them.

But I'm a married, stay-at-home-mum now - and I'm delighted to be so. It does make climbing from a rut a little more difficult though. Today's method of dealing with my rut is to shout at everyone -and that's not good. Not good at all. Tomorrow, I may have a couple of hours to myself and I've tried to find a concert in London that I could attend (lunch-time), but to no avail (I've this strong desire to sit on a uncomfortable chair and not even notice that my bottie's gone to sleep as I'm transported away by voilins, cellos and kettle drums - extra 'brownie points' if the drummer's stick accidentally whizzes out of his hand and towards the conductor, and even more 'brownie points' if the conductor is the type whose dripping perspiration showers those on the front row!!)

Oh I don't know what to do. Have my hair cut, perhaps?

Isabel's filled her nappy. So before I do anything, I'd better get that changed!

13 comments:

Louise said...

You're back!

Again...

And I'm right there in that rut with you, although I'm quite happy in it just now. It's David that wants me to climb out!

I think I just can't be bothered to climb out, I'm so bored I've lost interest. I can't bear the thought of working in some dead end job in Tesco, or Next or wherever the jobs are and I can't be bothered to do something about finding the perfect job. In my world, it'll find me, if it can be bothered!

Good luck with that one and don't be away so long again. I miss you.

Sob.

xx

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're so far in as you think if a couple of hours to yourself suggests a concert in London (even if it doesn't work out that way) - I generally don't get further than having a bath (assuming that there's any hot water...)

(And I know that it's not the same - I do have my job - but although that releases me from some problems, it does bring it's own set of issues...)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, you two. That was just what I needed!
Louise - yes - I'd not really thought about the fact that one day Mario will want me to exit the rut! That'l be terrible! I must say that as ruts go, this is a good one - but that doesn't stop me form having days when I just feel stir crazy!

(and reason for absence = Wales. IE we've been to Wales for a few days to see mum)

Anne - the concert in London craving is most out of character for me. I'm grabbing the bull of culture by the horns (not sure whether anything I'm saying is making sense here!) I normally desire nothing mre than an episode of Coronation Street

Anonymous said...

That was me, btw. And Louise, I'll be descending upon your blog soon. My dear son wants computer now whilst I make the dinner (the rut deepens!)

Louise said...

(Yes, I have missed you, you make me smile.)

David's hints about leaving the rut are getting less subtle.

I'm digging my heals further in...

Anonymous said...

Louise - (it's me again - my blog's all down Swanee (sp? /and is it up Swanee?)

You make me giggle too, you really do! You've made me realise that a rut is something you have to climb out of quite by yourself and in your own time - don't anyone try and drag me out of this rut! (they'd have a job, I'm in so deep I'm well out of arm's reach!!!!)

Louise said...

So much more giggling tonight I love it.

You should have heard the exclamation when I checked my emails after Safari School. (I get an email when I get comments. 'Cos I'm vain!)

Ten!

I'll stay in this rut, it's fun when blogging gets this good.

Anonymous said...

Tell me Safari School is a TV programme and you're not cheating in that rut and doing someting really active and exiting that involves the word Safari!?

Louise said...

David would say, "Ofcourse it's television, what else? She doesn't do anything else!"

BBC Two.

Loved it, but it's finished now. It was a celebrity competition set in South Africa, at a Safari School! The prize was to set free a rescued lioness and leopard into theirown, huge enclosures.

My rut isn't quite that exciting, though I do feel I live among the animals round here!

Kathryn said...

Be Careful, Ruth...be very careful!
Once upon a time I was in a 3 small children, house finished, PhD not going to get written sort of rut...then I blinked and found myself hurtling headlong towards ordination.
Ruts are nice comfy places, for a while at least :-)

Anonymous said...

I've been working on a list of "things for my mom to do" while she's on a bit of a "break" from helping out at the local school (her immune system can't take the colds/flu/yuck and the dr. says stop) -- perhaps I'll send it to you too. :)
I get in these ruts too from time to time (usually once a month) and often work them off by making cookies or something. :)

Ruth said...

Hi Kathryn! Yes, you're right - blinking is dangerous! It's amazing how much time passes and things change when you blink! (And I wonder how many half-finished PhDs there are out there)!

Hi Jenny - you're idea of making cookies sounds like a lovely one - a lovely smell about the house and yummy food to boot!

Instead, I had my eyebrows tinted and shaped!! I asked my husband, when I returned, whether he could see anything different about me. He said that he couldn't and I decided that when you've had your eyebrows done that's probably the answer you want to hear!!!!

Ruth said...

Ooh, I forgot to mention the other things that I did yesterday to help me feel a little perkier. I spent a good two hours in Chappells (fab music shop), and bought the theme tune to Schindler's List to play on the piano, and a short anthology of classical music.

And I had a starbucks, and I saw my sister and Arona in their flat, and had a glass or two of Riesling.

And it was like a two week holiday for me, yesterday - even though I was only away from the house for a few hours!