Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I'd like to thank the Lord for gift of being able to lie

.... but I'd better not as, clearly, he'd rather we didn't.

What a shame. I think that the art of being able to lie convincingly is a wonderful way of keeping the waters calm in a relationship.

'Do you like my new dress?'

Now, I don't know about you, but I'd much prefer a blatant lie - something along the lines of:
'it's a stunning dress and you look gorgeous', to this kind of truth:

'It's a beautiful shade of yellow'.

There's lots more I could say, but I'm sorry, I must dash - and that's no word of a lie!

5 comments:

Louise said...

Hmm, I've had to come up with a solution to that one, as David is absolutely hopeless. He just does complete and utter honesty, doesn't try to soften the blow at all.

My solution?

I don't ask.

And I take a good friend with me that I can trust and who isn't brutally honest, just tactful!

(The punchline here should have been "I just look in the mirror", but I don't trust my own judgement!)

Ruth said...

My husband can't get it right - he says 'you look lovely, dear', before he's actually finished raising his head to look at me - so he gets it in the neck for that!!

Mary Beth said...

Your story is so mysterious!~

Ruth said...

The truth of the matter is that I wanted to lie to get myself out of attending a meeting last night. I wanted to pretend that I had a headache. But I felt awful about lying - partly because I thought I'd be making a coward of myself and partly because I think that, on balance, lying is not good! But, whilst pondering all of this, I couldn't help but see some good in lying - I mean it can get you out of tricky situations quite well sometimes.

Anyway, I went to the meeting and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.